Sunday, March 18, 2012

SWK Workday

Who schedules a trail work day the morning after Paddy's Day? While admittedly, I am not particularly Irish, I do ocasionally embellish. Yesterday was not an exception. My brother-in-law, Timothy O'Kernican, has been calling me every few days for the last few weeks to remind me of the approaching holiday. Since I have had a several hours to recover from the leprachon frenzy I will try and remember some events of the day.

It should also be noted that I put out a call to my Snotfoot'ed bretheren to help out with some of the trail work as the scheduled Sunday ride was to be at SWK. Hopefully, with the potential for some aftercarbs, there will be a few volunteers.

9:00 am, call from Timothy, "We're leaving for The Claddagh at 11:30 am". The logo on the wait staff T-shirts was some sort of ring with a pair of hands cupped around either side. After some quick googling I found this definition courtesy of wikepedia.

 The Claddagh ring (Irish: fáinne Chladaigh) is a traditional Irish ring given as a token of friendship, love, or marriage. The design and customs associated with it originated in the Irish fishing village of Claddagh, located just outside the city of Galway. The ring was first produced in the 17th century, though elements of the design date to the late Roman period.

While at the Claddagh we actually met two different Irish people, apparently fresh off the boat in New York Harbor. The first, a young gentleman who sat with our group in the outdoor area on a spectacular sunny/breezy afternoon. The other we met indoors while listening to the Irish band. The band members were friends of Tim and the Irish women known only as "Shelly" and her Italian friend were band groupies who intended to follow the band to it's other destinations as the evening progressed. Tim and I, along with our designated driver, Victoria O'Kernican headed to the Friendly Tap at around 4 or 5 pm in Plano to check out some of the local flavor. It was a bit bland, not much activity at the old Friendly Tap. No matter, we had plans to move over to the Kendall Pub in Yorkville for more Irish tunes. The KP did not disappoint. A great beer selection and a fiesty buch of Bagpipers. They also had a one man band playing a nice variety of  folk tunes, which I thoroughly enjoyed. He was wearing one of those harmonic things that allows the musician to play harmonic with out removing his hands from the guitar, ala Bob Dylan and Neil Young, 2 of my favorites. The one man bands' face lit up when I made a request for such. I enjoyed listening to a few Dylan and Young covers before the O'Kernicans drug me to the car from my drunken barstool. I get the impression they are not fans of folk music the way I am.

My first Paddy's Day experience, yes thats right, my first time actually celebrating St. Patrick's Day was as delightful and bleary eyed as one could hope for. At least the parts I can remember.

I learned this afternoon through my cell phone messaging service that several of my Snotfoot friends hung around to assist with the work day. Ahhhh! The power of suggestion and false promises among my Irish brothers. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment